Since the very first moment after a New York jury convicted the actor guilty of abusing and tormenting his ex-girlfriend, Jonathan Majors has made public remarks. Majors disputed any misconduct in a recent interview that appeared on “Good Morning America” on Monday. He said he was “absolutely shocked and afraid” by the jury’s decision. Majors related the events to ABC News presenter Linsey Davis, saying, “I’m standing there and the verdict comes down. I say, ‘How is that possible?’ Based off the evidence — based off the prosecution’s evidence, let alone our evidence — how is that possible?”
The “Creed III” star was found guilty on two misdemeanor charges of violence and harassment stemming from a domestic conflict with Grace Jabbari, his ex-partner. Majors’ sentencing is scheduled for February 6. In addition to parole, he might receive a year in jail. On March 25, 2023, Majors attacked Jabbari in the rear of a private vehicle, leading to his arrest. Jabbari, a dancer who worked with Majors on the set of “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” for Marvel, claimed in court that she saw a text message from a different lady and reached for her ex-boyfriend’s phone. Jurors were informed by Jabbari that she suffered injuries to her hand and head when Majors took his phone away from her.
Majors insisted he didn’t hurt Jabbari physically, telling Davis there was “no question” he wasn’t responsible for the incision behind her ear and shattered finger. Majors stated, “That did not happen.” He continued by saying he had no idea how Jabbari got harmed. The day following the event, she went to the hospital to get her wounds treated. “I wish to God I knew,” he said. ” That would give clarity, that would give me some type of peace about it.” Majors failed to appear during the two weeks of the trial, throughout which Jabbari took testimony for numerous days. Disney’s Marvel Studios cut relations with Majors shortly after the guilty conviction. Majors portrayed the evil Kang the Conqueror in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and was scheduled to make appearances in future films, such as “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty” in 2026. (Also owned by Disney, ABC broadcast the Majors interview on “GMA.”)
Majors refuted the claims made by Jabbari’s defence team that he had attacked the latter man in the car that evening. Throughout the trial, his attorneys further contended that Jabbari made up the accusations to exact revenge on Majors following their separation. Until the relationship terminated on the night of the assault, they had been dating for two years. Majors stated in the interview with “Good Morning America” that he simply regretted not ending his relationship with Jabbari sooner and that he does not hold himself accountable for the March event.
“I shouldn’t have been in the car. I shouldn’t have been in the relationship,” Majors stated. “If I’m not in the car, none of this is happening. If I leave the relationship, none of this is happening. If I’m man enough or brave enough to say, ‘I want to see someone else’ or ‘I’m done now,’ I’m not in that car. We’re not here. I’m responsible for those things.” “But none of her injuries,” Davis added.
“Can’t say that,” Majors answered. “None of her injuries. I was reckless with her heart, not with her body,” he added. “My hands have never struck a woman — ever.”
Evidence presented by the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office all through the trial depicted Majors as domineering and coercive towards Jabbari throughout their two-year romance. Jurors observed text exchanges in which Majors threatened to take his own life after an altercation and appeared to try to talk Jabbari out of visiting the hospital to get treatment for a head wound. Majors told Jabbari in an audio tape provided for the jury that he is “a great man” who is “doing great things, not just for me, but for my culture and the world,” and that she should act like Michelle Obama and Coretta Scott King.
Majors said that Meagan Good, his new girlfriend, who was present every day of the trial, is “an angel” on “Good Morning America.” “She’s held me down like a Coretta [Scott King]. I’m so blessed to have her.” Majors’s counsel issued a statement following his conviction in December, stating that the actor “has faith in the process and looks forward to fully clearing his name.” Majors expressed his desire to continue his career in Hollywood as he wrapped up the conversation. Regarding going back to the screen, Majors remarked, “I pray I do.” However, “But it’s God’s plan and God’s timing.”